Haiti: Ariel Henry sworn in as new prime minister – 13 days after assassination of President Jovenel Moise | World News

Spread the love

Advertisement

Last Updated on July 21, 2021 by admin


Ariel Henry has been sworn in as Haiti’s new prime minister, 13 days after the assassination of President Jovenel Moise.

Mr Henry replaces interim prime minister Claude Joseph, who had led the country since the 7 July attack at Mr Moise’s private home.

The neurosurgeon and former cabinet minister was sworn in on Tuesday and promptly called for unity, promising to meet with various sectors to build consensus.

Advertisement
Image:
Interim PM Claude Joseph speaking during the ceremony at which Ariel Henry was appointed. Pic: AP

“The task that awaits us is complex and difficult…I’m from a school that believes in dialogue,” he said.

At a ceremony in the Caribbean country’s capital, Port-au-Prince, he also thanked unnamed “sister nations” for their help with the ongoing investigation into the attack, demanding all those responsible be brought to justice.

Mr Henry has promised to form a provisional consensus government to lead the country until elections are held.

He said he had already met with various unidentified stakeholders as well as people from the civil service and the private sector.

He pledged to re-establish order and security and confidence in the government as well as fight corruption, make COVID-19 vaccines available to all, restart the economy and create a credible and transparent elections system.

Advertisement

At least 26 people, including 18 former Colombian soldiers, five Haitians and three Haitian-Americans, have been arrested after Mr Moise was shot dead.

Ariel Henry signs a condolence for late Haitian President Jovenel Moise
Image:
Ariel Henry signs a condolence for late Haitian President Jovenel Moise

Police chief Leon Charles announced four more formal arrests on Tuesday – at least three of them police officers, whose ranks he did not release.

“There was infiltration in the police,” he said. “It happened with money.”

Mr Charles said authorities were investigating who financed the operation, noting the FBI and Interpol were helping track down US citizens living in the United States who he believes are responsible.



Source link

Advertisement

Spread the love

Leave a Reply

Social Media Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com